IHPC Objectives and Actions in Non-Discrimination
• OPIOIDS & PAIN MANAGEMENT: Expand awareness of the ongoing state of public and private health insurance discrimination, especially as it restricts the Nation’s ability to address and overcome the opioid addiction epidemic.
• In 2017 IHPC created the Integrative Approaches to Pain and Addiction Committee (IAPAC) to align integrative pain management with medical community recommendations 1) to use non-pharmacologic therapies (not drugs) as first-line treatments for chronic pain, and 2) call for reimbursement.
• COMMUNITY ACTION: Promote and stimulate advocacy around non-discrimination among licensed practitioners, patient groups, policy makers and the public.
• FEDERAL POLICY: Continue to work with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and other Federal agencies to bring about correct implementation of non-discrimination provisions.
• STATE POLICY: Continue to build upon initiatives and relationships established with advocates in the states who are working to ensure compliance with federal and state non-discrimination regulations, (via CoverMyCare).