The mission of the Academy of Integrative Pain Management (formerly the American Academy of Pain Management) is to advance the field of pain management using an integrative model of patient-centered care by providing evidence-based education for pain practitioners, as well as, offering credentialing and advocacy for its members.
In line with the principles of Integrative Medicine, Integrative Pain Management:
- Is patient-centered and reaffirms the importance of the relationship and open communication between practitioner and patient
- Considers the whole person (mind, body, and spirit, and in the context of his/her community)
- Encourages healthful lifestyle changes as part of the first line of treatment to restore wellness
- Brings together all therapeutic approaches to reduce pain and achieve optimal health and healing
- Is evidence-based
- Encourages a team approach with the patient serving as an active member of the team